Saturday, March 14, 2009

The TMI Files. Breakage And Enterage.

So my car sort of got broken into last night.

Again.

Well, it's the first time for this car, but I'd had cars broken into three times before this.

The first time, a rear window was smashed for entry, but apart from mess, that's about it.

I found $5.00 in it, about which my dad said that the thief probably took one look at my car and felt sorry for me so left the money.

The second time, the car had the front passenger lock jimmied and damaged, and all that was taken was my work jacket.

No problems with that, either, although a few weeks after that, there was a payroll theft at my place of work where a couple of hundred thousand dollars was stolen in a plot worthy of a prime time detective show.

You know the type: cameras in the air ducts to tape the combo on the safe, that sort of thing, entering through the roof, and maybe, just maybe, scoping the place out wearing a stolen jacket with the name of the company emblazoned in large letters across the back.

Third time? I'm rolling my eyes just thinking of the stupidity of this one.

Driver's side lock broken, nothing taken.

In this case, the morons didn't bother to pay much attention, even if this was in that den of crackheads, ferals, bogans and other assorted denizens known as Bogan Central.

The passenger door had been unlocked anyway, so there was no need to break into it.

In any case, I suspect the car did get taken joyriding a couple of times since petrol mysteriously disappeared.

It doesn't appear to have been used in the carrying out of any crimes, though, so that's a good thing.

The perpetrator on this one must have gotten their own wheels after a while, though.

And now last night's effort....

I stepped out of the house to go to work, and noticed a strange thing. The front passenger door was open. As was the glovebox.

I hadn't locked the doors, so no damage to the car. Needless to say, I found $10 in the ashtray, and none of the cds were taken.

So what do I think happened? The Godmother has been commissioned to make a ballgown and she is on the home stretch of that one, so she was up very early - like before sunrise - and had to let one of the moggies out.

I reckon she surprised someone in the act, and since the lights were now on, and someone was definitely home, the someone who was in the process of committing a crime ran off.

Well, that's my theory, anyway.

And how am I feeling about all of this? Unmoved and untouched by it.

These days, you sort of have to expect that you will get broken into at some stage in your life, and if it's only my car and not the house I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I don't keep valuables in the car, and a steering lock should keep it in one place anyway.

It's just a bloody shame that there are so many people who don't think breaking and entering is any sort of big deal. It's just something to do, or a way to get your paws on something that doesn't belong to you.

7 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger Kaboom said...

Nilk,

I leave my car unlocked at night (within my premises, but parked in the driveway) just for that reason. It's a pain in the arse to replace a broken window, or a levered door-lock.

Far, far cheaper if they take the contents of the coin tray.

I'm not sure that I would do the same if I street parked, day or night, though!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger kae said...

I dunno. At Bankstown in the 70s our home was burgled 5 times in 7 years.

It's a high house (what Qlders would call a "high set" house), and in the past few years the brazen thieves have got into the cars parked under and ransacked the glove boxes, they've emptied all the cupboards and stolen any tools worth anything or handy. The've even got brazen enough to do this in the day light. An electric roller door and enclosing the underneath of the house has not stopped the thieves.

Two weeks ago I arrived home after being at work for 13 hours plus and found I'd left the front door open, with the keys in it. Wouldn't do that in the 'burbs, but! Car is unlocked at night...

I think it sucks that there's thieves around and the police can't do much about them.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger kae said...

Oh, I should mention that I live in rural Qld now, not Bankstown.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the way society is going these days, petty crime is just accepted as part of life, no one wants to punish the scum and you catch them, so what's the deterrent for the crims.

Citizens are unarmed, cops are hamstrung and the judiciary is on their side, just leave the windows open and the doors unlocked and hope for the best i guess.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cash for cars mackay
cash for cars bundaberg

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for scrap cars Brisbane
cash for scrap cars sydney

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Howard said...

Great post thannks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home