Saturday, February 02, 2008

The TMI Files. Heredity And The Five (And A Half) Year Old.

Discussion in the car yesterday:

Magilla: Mum, did you say last week that I have your dad's ears and your eyebrows?

Me: Yes I did. You have my dad's ears, my hair and eyebrows, and your dad's mouth and nose and skin.

Magilla: Oh. How?

Me: Well, you're made up of your dad and I, just as I'm made up of my parents. I have my dad's nose and my mum's mouth. Auntie T looks like my mum, like I do, and Uncle M looks like Pop. You look like your dad.

Magilla: You don't look like Grandma.

Me: That's because Grandma isn't my mum. My mum, your nana, got sick and died before you were born. Then Pop met Grandma and they liked each other a lot, and loved each other so they got married. And Pop got sick and died last year.

Magilla: Grandma must be trying really hard not to kill herself, hey, Mum?



This is not an exact transcript, but near enough lol! I nearly drove off the road laughing!

For the record, I spoke to Grandma this morning just to make sure she's still trying not to kill herself.

9 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nilk, ive read this 4 times now and i still dont get it :(

BTW glad to see you've got your own blog going. I'll drink to that.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Woz, I've had this blog for nearly 3 years lol.

As for what it means, my TMI files tend to be more personal stuff, and this is just recounting a conversation with my daughter. One of those Thinks Kids Say kind of things.

There are times when I could cheerfully drop punt her out the door, and others when I could cuddle her forever.

And then there are the times when I nearly fall over laughing or choke on my food because of what comes out of her mouth.

Oh, and I'll join you in the drink thing, too.

Cheers! :)

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 Years? :$

Why dont people tell me these things?

I actually wandered in here from JF Becks page.

Anyways what I meant was I dont get the bit about gran trying not to kill her self. Maybe its a mum thing...

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Nah, not a mum thing. Just that my mum died in 2001, my dad met the lady known as Grandma (aka the Stepmum) early 2002.

She lost her husband a few months after Mum died and her and my dad got to know each other.

The married, and then my dad died last year.

So Magilla only knows of my mum (Nana) through photos and stories, and she knows Grandma quite well.

Since Nana died, and then Pop died, well, Grandma is doing well not to cark it herself.

Sounded a lot better from the 5yo. :)

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ok, got it all apart from the not carking bit.

AH 5yo's, my favorite kid line is when the little girl tells gran not to draw on her legs with blue pen...

And please tell me you didnt actually name your child Magilla. For the love of God please.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

LOL Of course not. She was, however, very hairy when she was born, and the name did cross my mind on several occasions over her first few months.

Then she did what most babies do, and lost it all. Only the hair on her head grew back.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger MathewK said...

The things kids say eh, mostly funny, but sometimes can be embarrassing.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger The_Wizard_of_WOZ said...

Sounds like Magilla came out with a cracker...

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

You're right there, MK. Mine has a habit of lecturing smokers, or making loud sounds of disgust when near a smoker.

She doesn't get that from me, btw, since I don't care what goes into a person's lungs so long as it's legal, and so long as it doesn't go into mine.

Wiz, I reckon if she'd had her way, Magilla would probably have never come out lol. She was 2 weeks overdue even after they put the due date back a week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home