Saturday, June 16, 2007

The TMI Files. Theology And The Four Year Old

I know postings a bit light on, but there was a bit of an upheaval in the household and we've got a new housemate. My teenage niece, L, has joined us in Bogan Central.

That's been keeping me out of mischief, as has my new job. It's nothing fancy, just office work, and my hours are around Magilla's, so it's perfect for me.

I've also been pulling together my thoughts on patriarchy and feminism, but I need to be able to sit down for a few solid hours to get that done properly.

For your entertainment in the meantime, however, Magilla is very bit on Jesus and God at the moment. Since she was away over the long weekend the other week, she missed church.

And since she enjoys going to church, she lets me know that she's missing it.

Yesterday, driving home from daycare, she asked me if we could go to church. I replied that we would go on sunday as usual.

She continued on...

Magilla: You can't say that Jesus makes it rain any more.

Me: Oh, okay then.

Magilla: The sun dries the water up from the sea and the pools and takes the chlorine out and makes it in clouds. That's what makes rain.

Me: Is that right?

Magilla: Yes, so Jesus doesn't make it rain.

Me: Is that what Daddy says?

Magilla: Yes, so you're not allowed to say that any more.

Me: Okay, but who's watching over everything?

Magilla: Jesus. Why doesn't Daddy like God and Jesus?
(this is a recurring theme in our household)

Me: Well, some people don't understand about Him and decide that because He's not like normal people they don't like Him or believe in Him.

Magilla: Oh. But God and Jesus are good people.

Me: Yes they are.

Magilla: I think Daddy should like Jesus and God. And John Howard.

Me: You want me to say something?

Magilla: Yes. You should tell him to like them.

Me: I should have words with your father and tell him about Jesus and why he should like Him?

Magilla: Yes you should.

Me: Oh. Okay.
(dumbstruck. her father is a rabid anti-religion atheist.)

From there, the conversation turned to the concept of the Trinity. Well, two members of the Trinity at least.


ME: You know, Jesus and God are the same person.

Magilla: They are?

Me: Yes, they are different parts of one person. You know how I'm not just Mummy I'm also Nilk? God and Jesus are like that.

Magilla: Why?
(her favourite question)

Me: Well, to you I'm Mummy, but other people call me Nilk, don't they?

Magilla: (slowly) Yes....

Me: I'm still the same, but I'm your mummy, not anyone else's, and I'm different with you than I am with them, yes?

Magilla: Yes....

Me: It's like that with Jesus and God. He's the same person, but He sometimes does different things so we call Him either Jesus or God.

Magilla: Does Jesus and God call you Nilk?

Me: (laughing) Yes, if He's talking to me properly. But God doesn't talk to us like normal people. We don't hear Him with our ears, which is why some people don't understand and choose to believe He's not real.

Magilla: But He is real.

Me: Yes, and even though we can't see Him or hear Him like I'm talking to you now, He's still with us. And sometimes if we listen, we can hear Him inside of us. It's not like normal listening.

Magilla: I haven't heard Him.

Me: No, but that doesn't mean He won't talk to you. I've heard Him, so I can tell you He's around. He doesn't talk much to us, but He's here alright.

Magilla: Okay.


About this time, we pulled up at home, and Theology 101 was over.

We'll no doubt have many more of these discussions, and it's remarkable to me how comfortable she is in her belief.

Of course, the other side of her family tree isn't impressed, but church and God are not negotiable, so I guess I will be having words with them at some stage on this matter.

Another snippet to amuse which has nothing to do with religion.

Magilla says to me a couple of days ago: I wish the Fat Cat (who has been on a diet) would get fat again. Then she won't be able to run away!

14 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant, kids are great, eh?

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Yup, they are an endless source of wonder and hilarity.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

How's yours going?

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've commented before that I did Sunday School and later Church (Dad is quite the Church-goer and an Elder), however Em is quite a secularist, she'll find her own way, I'm sure. She is currectly on a short hol in Margeret River, doing pony rides and spa's, with her mum.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Holidays are good. :)

Considering my mum was an atheist and my dad agnostic, I was baptised at 5, and then didn't go near a church until I was 17.

Got my Call when I was 22, so there's always hope.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's great.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

I know. She's your girl so she has to be. ;)

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So right, ;)

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's not too personal Nilk, what happened at 22?
;)
And you don't have to answer that, lol.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Here tis, TimH.

It's not something I ever made a big deal out of, but for me it is intensely personal and private.

I'm more inclined to talk about it now because these days we are in the middle of a war of the spirit, so it's time to stand up and be counted.

For years I had friends who weren't aware I had any sort of faith. It was not a subject I was comfortable with.

Now I am.

I've been touched a few times, and those reminders help keep me on track.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I missed that post but it reads well. I realise that it is intensely personal and peivate and won't intrude.
I agree we are in a war of the spirit, especially against the m*****m types. Full agreement with you there.
I haven't been touched (yet), who knows when it may happen.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

It's not about intruding, and the time for worrying about such things is past for me, so don't worry.

I'm hitting the hay, as the ruggie is sacked out in my bed so I'll be woken at daybreak.

You can always email if you want to discuss stuff offblog. Not sure if my email is linked on this blog, but it is on Blair's.

:) You have a good one, and hopefully you'll get a kick in the teeth from God, too. That's how I classify it. There is no mistaking it.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't worry then :)
Sleep well, heh, young ones, eh?
Daybreak is a lovely word.
Okay,,I'll check Blairs.
Don't know if I'd like a kick in the teeth (ouch) (I'll see)

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another good way of explaining the Trinity is with a book - One: you have the Author (God) who Thought Up the idea for the Book and sat down and wrote it. The words in the Book (Jesus) are how the Author's thoughts show up in the book and the reaction that a reader has to the book is like the Holy Spirit. Dorothy Sayers wrote a book called "The Mind of the Maker" that explained that really well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home