Friday, June 09, 2006

The TMI Files. Minor Adjustments.

So I've been in the new job for 3 weeks now, and loving it. There has been some excellent training, and next week the real stuff begins. I'm doing consultancy stuff as a contractor, and as such am not on a wage. I'm operating on gasp!horror! commission. (Cue dramatic theme.)

While I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, Magilla is doing it a bit tough.

She's in care now for 5 days a week, and I will have to go out for work the occasional weeknight, but the longterm gains will eventually outweigh the shortterm pain.

And painful it is for her at the moment.

She is snarky in the mornings - when I finally get her into the WWE, her name will be The Procrastinato, but she'll make bucketloads of moola. She's that good and finding excuses. Either that or she'll be a lawyer. Nobody can find and exploit a loophole faster than Magilla.

She's also cranky in the arvo when I collect her from care. Enough so that when we got home yesterday, she was sent to her room to settle down.

Didn't happen.

Instead, she sat on her bed and just cried and cried.

So I went and sat down with her, and opened my arms. She crawled into my lap and kept crying.

When she finally stopped, we had a little chat about what was going on.

I asked if she was missing being with me (yes, she nodded)
I told her that I was missing her, too, and she nodded in response to that.
I explained again that I need to go to work, and she needed to stay with Mrs Carer, and she agreed with that. I got no complaints, which was unexpected.

We snuggled a bit more, then got back to the usual program of bath, dinner and bedtime.

This morning, there was more snark, followed closely by more clinging and crying.

When I look back at the past 3 weeks through her eyes, it is difficult.

Week 1: 5 days in care, then 2 days away from Mum due to a film shoot that she couldn't be a part of.
Week 2: 5 days in care, then the weekend with me.
Week 3: 5 days in care, then the weekend with me.

When you consider that previously she had 3 days in care, and 4 days with Mum (with the occasional break courtesy of visits away or a shoot she couldn't be there for) it's a bloody big change in a little person's life.

I'm anticipating more tears and tantrums over the next few months, but once we get into the swing of things, we'll adjust nicely.

Especially since I'm intending to buy her a dog for christmas.

Maybe a German Shepherd. Something that can be trained up with a small primate.

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Poor little love. Poor both of you. I hope the little 'un cheers up soon.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger oigal said...

I am crushed ..we lose again you telling T/s you are not talking to me..lucky I am going away tomorrow for a week..or I would really be sad..

P.S... I never did see your comment....(i may have deleted but if I did it was accident..)

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

Just make sure that you don't get her a blue heeler - if she can work a loophole as you say, she will soon discover that the dog will protect her like nothing else - even to the point where the dog will get between her and a mother than is about to punish her or send her to bed! >:)

One of my brothers never got smacked when he was growing up. He had that dog was trained really well :)

Considering that Magilla is more grown up than some people I know ('adult' is a term to be used VERY loosely), she will do fine. I hope that mum comes through it just as unscathed in the end.... :)

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Thanks, all.

Jai, I'm leaning towards a shep, and in any case there is only one pack leader in this family, and it ain't the puppy.

Rachy, I'm waiting for that to kick in here. It's just the routine needing to resettle, and that takes a bit of time. Short term pain for longterm gain, I'm calling it.

Thanks for the warm fuzzies, Caz. We're plenty snuggly, but she doesn't like kisses from me. At all. It cracks me up more than anything else. Gotta love a thick skin.

And BritOz, I've been wondering how you're going. Congrats on the little one, and good luck with the move. While you're moving to Oz's first police state, it's still got to be better than where you are.

Enjoy the journey with your baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home