Sunday, May 28, 2006

The TMI Files. Today I Saw A Rainbow.

It's been a hectic, exciting time. I started the new job last Monday, Magilla is in daycare during business hours for 5 days a week now, and I also had a film shoot this weekend just gone.

I've been flat out like a lizard drinking, and I've had to cut back on reading and blogging. It's been difficult, but I'll find the balance yet!

More on the job later, and the shoot was fantastic. We got some great stuff with a crew I love working with, so I'm looking forward to the finished product. The Broken Hill stuff is still in editing, so I'm not fussed if this one takes a while to finish. It's just the way low budget things work.

But today was something special.

I was up before the sun was - bleh - and staggered through the usual ablutions. I am so not a morning person.

I couldn't blame Magilla because she was away for the weekend. Depending on what I'm working on, she sometimes comes on set with me, but usually not. I don't do a lot of film work as she's come first; a few shorts a year with an indy feature thrown in for fun. I also seem to have developed a bit of a rep as someone who likes to do some of the strange and sick stuff.

Actually, I have a lot of a rep for that. I know this because I get calls from people looking for makeup, and apologising if there is no blood or effects in the script. Or I get the phone call asking if I do 'normal' makeup. I do, it's just that the fx are much more fun. Hehe.

But back to rainbows...

I was kitted up, opened the front door and was totally gobsmacked. I regret that I didn't have the camera handy, but you get that at that time of the a.m. Especially from me.

I stood on the front porch in awe. It was overcast, the sun was coming up but not yet visible, and there was a bit of light drizzle.

The sky was yellow. Not canary yellow, of course, but this amazing warm colour that blew me away.

Red sky at night, shepherds' delight.
Red sky at morning, shepherds take warning.


That old rhyme sprang to mind, but the sky was nothing resembling red at all.

I don't know what caused it, and I don't really care. It was an amazing sight.

It gets better though.

As I took off for work today, I reversed out of the driveway thinking about not going to church this morning. I do miss it when we don't go, but I also know that God is not going to flog me for it.

I turned west out of my street and the sky was grey again, but just in front of me, so close it seemed within reach, was a huge rainbow.

I looked behind me to the golden sky with the sun peeking above the houses, then to the front again and the most beautiful weather formation ever.

When I was a child I always wanted to find the end of a rainbow for the pot of gold that was apparently waiting for me, and here I could see the end of this one. It was only a dozen houses away.

I've seen a lot of rainbows, but there was something about this that moved me to tears. It was so close, a perfect arc across the road ahead, and I was exulted.

It's days like today when I give thanks to God for this amazing world we live in.

It's perfect moments like contrasting the sunrise and the rainbow, like a promise of eternal beauty, that reassure me that life is the most amazing gift, and if I was struck blind tomorrow, nothing could ever take that sight from my eyes.

8 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

I'm not a morning person either.

You're a mum *and* a make-up artist - Cool!!

Louise

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remeber years ago driving up to Darwn and seeing the sunset merge into the distance of a salt lake; the oinks, blues and oranges. Maybe with time the image has grwo to mythical proportaions ut i thought I'll jst have t remeber this as no camera shot could do ths justice. From your aricle and the feeling it gives, I suspect that maybe your skills could have

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may remeber the aforementioned scene, but I oviously forgot the spell check!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Nilk.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Dag said...

I had to take down the newss flash I posted this morning: "Big Yellow Thing seen In Sky Above Vancouver, Canada."

It turns out that people here have seen the Sun before. I wouldn't have thought so. They must have noticed it on TV. What a dismal place this is.

Mine, from Iceland to the High Orkneys, speak of Sutherland as the mainland. Why did I come here?

I can't have a mother, that denied to me in this life, but I'm entitled to the Sun like any man. Today in my dark island mind of cold misty mountains you've brought some of both.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

Truly beautiful story :)

I've seen some special rainbows in my time as well. People don't believe me when I say that I have driven through the base of not one, but two rainbows in my time - both have ended right smack in the middle of the road.
I saw another that ended right in the middle of a small lake on the West coast of Tasmania as I was driving past. I stopped and backed up to look again and it was gone.

What is it about rainbows that give you that special feeling?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

I'm too lazy to look it up, but if I recall aright (probably awrong, knowing me), the rainbow is a reminder from God of his promise to Abraham and the covenant He made for all of us.

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look for the best student laon of texas student loan, texas mortgage loan and home loan chicago

 

Post a Comment

<< Home