Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The TMI Files. Discipline me, baby!

Ahhh. The joy of Discipline.

I'm not talking about tie me up and beat me, hotstuff (save that for another time!). I'm talking about recalcitrant rugrats. My minor gorilla in particular.

So I watch SuperNanny and get lovely ideas about the naughty corner. That's not too bad an idea. I ask Magilla to do something, and get told no. I ask again, and get refused again. I explain that I'm going to ask one more time, then count to three. If I get to three, then she gets to go in the corner.

LOL I think she's spending too much time there. It's almost become a game to her, and if I'm saying or doing something she doesn't like (like when she asks for ice-cream and gets told no), then she starts counting to three, and then tells me to go into the corner. 'You don't say no to me.'

Needless to say, I've yet to obey her, but it is so hard keeping a straight face when being told off by a toddler. She gets this stern expression on her face, she's got my tone of voice almost perfect, and the hand gestures.

I have to explain that I won't be told what to do by her, and she is supposed to do what I ask.

What I really want to do is fall about laughing. It's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever experienced. Especially when she's counting off on her fingers, and holds up three at the two count.

It's slowly working, though. Today she only went into the corner once. A couple of times I had to count as far as two.

YAY! With luck she'll be under control by the time I'm 70.

6 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger MathewK said...

Spare the rod...
Crack the whip... ooops did i type that up on the internet...

have watched the supernanny before, glad to see it's working, i think its also a good thing for parents to know there are ways of maintaining order at home without resorting to physical force.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Elderly mothers still look to their middle-aged children in search of signs of improvement.

That's a little joke I have with my Mum - she was the eldest of nine children, and had six of her own.

Mum's coming up to 71, on new year's day, and I know she still hopes for any little sign of improvement in any of us. Poor Mum - I tell her it's not her fault.

So, you're aiming for a control situation by the time you're 70? I should sit you down for a chat with my Mum sometime.

I even did a rough mental calculation a while back, and Mum has only managed to *suffer* from the dreaded empty nest for about three, maybe four years of her entire life.

We'll check back with you on your progress, in about 30 years. Hee, hee.

Wonder what we'll all be using by then? Blogging will be sooooo several decades ago.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

I moved out of home at 21 and never went back. Never wanted to, except for a few flat times when what I really wanted was a good old yak with mum and hug every now and then.

I still get that, even though she's been gone a few years now. It's not the same with your dad.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

lol MathewK, don't worry - I have been known to give a smack. I try not to, but there are times when she needs to be shocked into sense.

Like when she's playing around the stove, or having waterplay in the lounge near live electrical cable.

EEK! Turn your back for a second....

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Caz said...

I left home at 17 (or ran away from home, as my Mum put it), then left the state for 18 years. Landed on Mum's door step when we moved back here, then moved out once I had job & place to live. Moved back in for a while, after a couple of years, then out again. Then one of the others moved in, for 8 mths or so, and has moved out just in time for another refugee to move back to Melb after 25 years away, and, of course, stay with Mum until settled here.

Before that, Mum had one of my siblings there for 7 yrs, with 2 kids and a dog. After his death, Mum looked after the grandchildren, and we moved down in time for a handover, just as the last grandchild moved out.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re naughty corner/time out, when we went through a big 'time out' phase (what claptrap!), our 3.5 y/o's favorite thing to do would be to run to my home-office when I was in there with the door open and yell, "Daddy, I'm putting you in time-out!" and slam the door laughing his head off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home