Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Continuing Chris.

I never said that there was an inordinate number of Muslim convicts. I was asked to speculate who might take offence. I have no information on this at all. I have no idea on the composition of the prison at Wakefield.

Of course we should not pander to everything any Muslim group wants. The issue is to ensure fairness and sensible policies in an increasingly connected society. Muslims have many many anxieties over our policies, often with some justification, that are not pandered to at all. It is a two way streak. An English Christian is not responsible for Christian crimes any more than an Egyptian Muslim is responsible for the bombings carried out by Muslims in London.

I would also not describe the Muslim reaction as one of deafening silence. Any analysis would show that Muslims and Muslim countries have probably been the biggest victims of Al Qa'ida and Al-Qaida' like attacks, Iraq perhaps being the best example.

Many Muslims feel their faith is being highjacked, attacked on the one side by these Jihadis, and on the other side by largely western governments who have perpetrated reckless policies in the Islamic world over the last 50 or more years. Many also say that the west and particularly the US, bears a responsibility in encouraging these groups above all in Afghanistan.

Chris Doyle
Director

CAABU (Council for Arab-British Understanding)


1 Gough Square, London, EC4A 3DE
Tel: 020 7832 1310
Fax: 020 7832 1329
www.caabu.org


I think I might have touched a nerve with Chris in my latest correspondence.

I'll leave this out there in the ether while I over the next few days. It will take that long to sort out my reply anywya. In the meantime, if anyone has the time to dig up some stats on prison populations (in Britain or anywhere else), I'd be eternally grateful if you can link me to them.

Thanks in advance.

3 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger SC said...

Muslims in French prisons make up an estimated 70% of prisoners, while being about 10% of the population.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Caz said...

Two way "streaking"? Hope you're not going to take up any offers on that Nilknarf.

Leigh - those stats are startling.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

Those stats are not too far removed from what I hear about aboriginals in Australian prisons.

Some say that they are treated unfairly because of their race, especially considering that they are 1% of the population - but the simple fact remains that with the sheer numbers in there, it's not always based on colour.

You don't go to prison for picking flowers in the park!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home