Sunday, August 07, 2005

Beurger King? How halal is that?

I've decided on a bit of a letter writing campaign.

It has begun. I know there is at least one person out there who has me pegged as somebody who doesn't have a life. I may as well provide concrete evidence of it in the blogosphere.

For those of you who do see me regularly in the real world, obviously you are communicating with a figment of your own deranged imagination!

Cheers!

My first is to Burger King in Europe.

Dear Mr Johnston,


I’ve been looking over the Burger King website, and noticed that there is no direct email contact with your corporation. Hence my emailing you.

It has probably been brought to your attention already, but there is an item in the news regarding the opening of “Beurger King” in France. This article is generating a huge amount of interest on sites such as http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/007545.php#comments and http://www.muslimwakeup.com/blog/archives/2005/08/beurger_king_mu.php .

With this in mind, I was wondering about the legality of such a naming for the new fast food restaurant. If it is a genuine partnership agreement with Burger King, does it fit in with your company guidelines on fostering diversity within the community? Surely a restaurant where female staff members must be muslim and dress appropriately is against any Western notion of freedom of religion? The serving of halal food is ultimately irrelevant, but the conditions of employment and the messages of exclusion that they send out to world at large appear incompatible with Burger King’s vision.

If Beurger King is not a venture with your company, then it would appear to be an infringement of your trademarks.

While this situation is ultimately none of my business, it is still a concern when one of the primary faces of family restaurants is seen to be promoting division in the world community.

Thank you for your time and regard,

Nilknarf
Melbourne, Australia.


[note:of course, I did sign the email appropriately. I'm not a complete dingbat!]

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic I hope you get a response.

I spent five years swearing at the television because of those taliban scum.

Before the invasion of Afghanistan it seemed every single day there was a new atrocity being committed by the taliban.

It's very scary that the very same sentiments exist right at the heart of Europe and at the moment they are getting away with it. There is such a thing as over-tolerance.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Chris, I did get a response.

I got a nice thank you, from Mr Johnston, and he let me know that their legal department is looking into it.

Yay!

I think that Burger King would have gotten a few emails about this, somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home